Become a referee
A list of all upcoming course are available to view by following this link ……
The course is in various stages as listed below.
- Introduction to refereeing - Two hours
- Register online
- Pre-course study sent out to all candidates
- Safeguarding/CRC - Three hours
- Practical training 1 - Six hours
- Fouls and Misconduct - Three hours
- Practical training 2 - Six hours
- Five Games 11v11 or 9v9
- Examination and next steps
Your first step is to attend the ‘Introduction to Refereeing’ evening. This is a taster session where you will be guided through the refereeing experience looking at all formats of the game and opportunities available. The cost of the introduction evening is £10 per candidate and is non-refundable. We encourage parents to attend the evening and actively take part - there is no additional cost.
Held at different times and venues throughout the year, the referees course involves approximately 20 hours of training. This is then be followed by a test on practical issues of refereeing and a written exam on the Laws of Association Football. Each course is limited to 24 candidates.
On passing the examination, you become a level nine trainee referee. Following the course you will need to referee five 11v11 games or six 9v9 games and return your five-game form. Only once this is completed and returned will you obtain fully-qualified status aided by a Referee Mentor.
The cost of the introduction evening will be £10 per candidate and the cost of the referee course will be £110.
Included in the price will be:
- A 'Laws of the Game' booklet
- An interactive DVD of the Laws of the Game
- A pre-course study programme
- All course materials
- FA Safeguarding Children training
- FA Respect training
- FA registration fee for the season
- Whistle and lanyard
- Red and yellow cards and holder
- Set of Flags
- FA Referee badge
- FA mentor